Box For Two

How To Sleep Better During Pregnancy

Pregnancy Lifestyle- Pregnancy Life -Box for Two

Make pregnancy sleep your priority

Being a mum could mean that your sleeping patterns and routines could be disrupted. Approximately 2000 Aussie mums revealed that only 20% of them claim to have uninterrupted sleeping habits while the remaining 80% constantly have disturbed sleeps. This could be associated with children crawling into bed in the middle of the night as well as energetic kids that takes a little bit longer to doze off.

Sleep affects mood swings and performance throughout the day. Sleep researchers have found pregnant women who have too little or too much sleep in the first three months of pregnancy have higher blood pressures in the third trimester. 

What is the best position to sleep better during pregnancy?

Try to put less pressure on the womb carrying the foetus. This could be done by turning to the left side and bending the knees a little bit. It is highly recommended that mothers should learn how to sleep in this position during the first trimester. The position will become more effective during the rest of the pregnancy.

Caffeine Intake

Caffeine is an element that in most cases responsible for disturbed sleep. Cut back on the caffeine intake, swap to herbal teas such as peppermint or ginger tea to release symptoms of nauseousness, resulting in better sleep. 

Reduce drinking at night


An increased fluid intake just before bed can cause mothers to use the bathroom frequently at night. This could also affect those who aren't pregnant. If you are feeling dehydrated at night, it is best to take small sips of water and go to the toilet before bed. It is not advisable to drink a whole glass of water right before bed. 


Simple pregnancy sleep tips

  1. Make a sleeping timetable – Go to bed and wake up the same time. Set your alarm and don't over-snooze!

  2. Make it a routine - Time to get disciplined! Allow your body to realise that it is a time to sleep. Like, brush your teeth, read a book or applying oil before bed. These actions can act as sleep triggers. 

  3. Comfort is key - Get yourself a nice pillow or mattress to maximise comfort during sleep.

  4. Pregnancy Massages - Get your partner to give you a little shoulder or feet rub before bed. This increases circulation around the body and could help with better sleep.

Good Sleep Habits During Pregnancy

  • Turn of mobile and tv screens an hour before sleep. Focus on relaxing things.
  • Avoid going to bed on a full stomach
  • If you're still awake after 20 minutes, go to another room or read a book until you feel sleepy again.
  • Minimal distractions in the bedroom
  • Get some sun during the day
  • Make sure you're getting 7 to 9 hours of sleep per day
  • Reduce napping during the day as it can make it hard to sleep at night. If you really need a nap, try power napping. Set an alarm for 25mins.