Put pregnancy massages on the list of things to do...
Pregnancy massage, also called "prenatal massage" has a series of benefits that pregnant women should not ignore since this massage can help them overcome the less pleasant aspects of pregnancy such as stress. Prenatal massage is not only very healthy, but it works as a pain reliever and helps future mums deal with the physical and emotional changes that occur during pregnancy.
One of the most important benefits of pregnancy massage is that it can reduce the pain caused by pressure around the knee area. It also eliminates headaches and any pain associated with weight gain. It is known that most medications are contraindicated for expecting mothers due to their possible side effects, and this is why alternative pain relievers such as massages are preferred.
A good pregnancy massage regulates hormone levels, which is an essential aspect for a pregnant woman. This only works when a mum is getting massages regularly. Proper hormone levels only regulates a woman's mood, but they also promote cardiovascular health. Ultimately, mothers should aim for lower levels of stress-related hormones and increased the levels serotonin. (Happy Hormones!)
Get Rid of Bloat!
Prenatal massages can also aid circulation and digestion. Those unpleasant symptoms such as bloating or stomach aches will reduce and the child is well-nourished leading to a healthy baby development. It boosts your happiness and self-confidence, strengthens the immune system, improves sleep quality and reduces the harmful effects of stress.
Pamper and Stress-Free
Besides the benefits of pregnancy massage that were mentioned above, mothers also get the chance to relax, which is very important for both them and the child. If an expecting mother is stressed, this can have a very negative impact. With a prenatal massage, pregnant mums can feel relaxed and less stressed throughout the pregnancy. It is certainly a well-deserved treatment in a period when a woman experiences great amounts of anxiety and stress since it is known that although pregnancy is one of the most beautiful moments in the life of a lady, it can also be one of the most difficult.
Get Rid of Toxins
In addition to cooling the nervous system and relaxing tight muscles, circulation is increased by massage, so nutrients and oxygen essential for health and energy are transferred to the tissues and organs. Prenatal massages facilitates the functioning of the lymph system which removes excess toxins and improves the immune system.
The Benefits of Pregnancy Massages During Each trimester
Massage therapy is a beautiful complementary choice for prenatal care and a healthy way to promote general well-being and reduce stress. Pregnancy massage is an essential addition to prenatal medication and is not a luxury. Massage helps to relieve pregnancy's usual discomforts, such as joint pain, oedema, headaches, backache, leg cramps and stiff neck. Good pregnant massage can also provide you a healthier night's sleep as it soothes and relaxes the nervous system. The following are illustration of how massage can benefit you throughout your pregnancy:
Pregnancy Massage during the First Trimester
- Relieves muscular tension and headaches.
- Helps balance emotional and hormonal changes.
- Helps alleviate morning sickness.
- Improves circulation and oxygenation of soft tissues and muscles as well as removal of metabolic waste.
- Reduces fatigue.
- Reduces strain on the joints.
- Induces relaxation, reduces stress and creates a supportive, caring environment.
Pregnancy Massages during the Second Trimester
- Eases heartburn and constipation since overall Relaxation stimulates and balances digestion and elimination.
- Alleviates muscle cramping, pain and joint dysfunction in the back, hips, and shoulders.
- Alleviates sciatica.
- Relieves leg cramps.
- Assists postural alignment to relieve pain from uterine ligament strain.
- Helps to lengthen the spine and create more space for the baby.
- Helps maintain blood flow through the pelvic area which reduces blood and fluid congestion in the legs.
- Improves skin elasticity, reducing pregnancy stretch marks.
Pregnancy Massages during the Third Trimester
- Reduces swelling
- Continuous assessment for early detection of preeclampsia and deep vein thrombosis
- Relief from restriction in the groin can increase blood and lymph return from the legs.
- Relieves pain from varicosities.
- Enhances pregnancy sleep routines
- Relaxes and calms your baby.
- Prepares pelvic muscles for the birth process by relaxing them.
- Relaxation brought by frequent massage reduces the build-up of discomfort, impatience, and anxiety in the last weeks of pregnancy
- Helps in inducing labour in post-term pregnancies or in inducing early labour in high-risk pregnancies such as large babies in diabetic mothers
Even though the pregnancy massage has numerous advantages, it must be mentioned that it may be contraindicated for some women. For instance, the massage may be contraindicated for women who have a high-risk pregnancy or suffer from hypertension. All pregnant women must consult their doctor before starting the massage sessions. The healthcare provider is the only one who can give accurate advice regarding prenatal massage.
Note to self:
You will note the benefits of the pregnancy massage before, during and after the labour. Getting regular pregnancy massages has many physical and mental benefits. So why not get one?